Laos newspapers

Laos newspapers

Saturday, December 4, 2010

UNDP reporting on Khoun Community Radio in northern Laos


I'm starting my blog by covering a story produced by UNDP in Laos for the UNDP Global and Laos websites. It was in fact covered by myself in Xieng Khouang Province, northern Laos, but that's not the only reason I'm starting my blog with this short article.

What I find particularly interesting about the Khoun Community Radio for Development is that it not only covers development issues but it's also an example of media development in an environment that doesn't always lend itself to these kinds of projects. This is the first community run station in Laos.

The Radio station is a great example of the simple power of information. Whilst in Khoun district I heard stories of how the radio has helped improve agricultural production, health and education. I believe Khoun Radio is particularly successful because the programming is developed, recorded and edited by village volunteers. People trust what they hear. Like any good media outlet the radio station does not preach messages. Fundamentally the listeners must enjoy what they are listening to. Khoun radio includes vital messages in their drama programming, they broadcast music and entertainment programmes, such as cooking shows.

From spending a short period of time in Khoun district covering this story and the 3-year radio anniversary celebrations it was clear that the radio volunteers are extremely passionate about being involved in the programming and that the station is popular and valuable for the community. I have worked on and covered numerous development projects and I don't always get this sense of enthusiasm and interest in projects that I got in Khoun.

Here is a link to the short article, I've also included a link in the Web Links section of this blog.

http://www.undplao.org/newsroom/KCRadio.php

In the next 2-weeks I will also be posting a link to a video feature on Khoun Radio, which I am currently editing and will be a more substantive report.

NOTE
The views and opinions expressed in this blog do not represent those of the United Nations or any organisation for whom I have worked or do work.

No comments:

Post a Comment